Chicken Cordon Bleu cooked on the grill is easy and you can't beat the taste! I have purchased the largest chicken breast I could find. This one was the size of two and fed the two of us easily with a few left overs.
- Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (or one per person if small)
- Fresh Rosemary (two sprigs chopped)
- Fresh Italian Parsley (two tablespoons chopped)
- Fresh Basil (six large leaves chopped)
- Granulate Garlic
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Big Eye or Baby Swiss Cheese
- Thinly sliced Ham
Dried herbs can be used as well, I just love the fresh taste of the fresh herbs from my garden ;) Just cut the amounts in half if using dried.
Brine the breast (optional):
Brining helps to keep the breast from drying out during cooking keeping it moist and tender.
- In a large bowl add two tablespoons Salt, 1/2 teaspoon Pepper, 1/2 teaspoon Oregano, 1/2 teaspoon Granulated Garlic, Chicken Breast and enough water to cover the Chicken. Mix well, cover and place in the fridge for at least four hours.
Remove Chicken from brine, rinse and pat dry.
Butterfly the breast and pound out thin. Being careful not to get too thin you don't want it to break apart while rolling.
Season breast with Salt, Pepper, Granulated Garlic, Rosemary, Parsley and Basil:
Then add a layer of Ham and Swiss Cheese.
Starting at one end start to roll the breast not to tightly, it's more of a lift and roll, securing the roll with a skewer. Close the ends with a skewer and then cut off the extra or use a large tooth pick.
Season the rolled breast with Salt, Pepper, Garlic and Paprika. Drizzle with olive oil on all sides.
Preheat the grill to Medium.
Place the roll on the grill and cook on the first side for five minutes, turn over only 1/4 of the way and cook for an additional five minutes repeating this for all four sides.
When the chicken is done, remove from heat, cover and let sit for five minutes. Slice and serve.
Tip: This recipe can be made ahead of time for a party. Prepare the chicken, cover and put it fridge. Remove 15 minutes before grilling time to bring the meat to room temperature. Your guests will love it as well as be impressed!
A wonderful side dish for this is: Grilled Herb Carrots, Celery & Potato's