And "yes" these beauties are from my little garden in the city!
- 4 Large Green Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Cup White Cornmeal or Yellow
- 1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning (or Italian Seasoning w/a dash of Chili Powder is OK)
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour, Divided
- Vegetable Oil or Peanut Oil
- Your Favorite Jar of Marinara Sauce
- Parmesan Cheese - Grated
Preheat oven to 200.
Cut Tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Season both sides of the Tomatoes with Salt and Pepper.
You will need three shallow dishes:
- First shallow dish pour in the Buttermilk.
- Second shallow dish mix together the Cornmeal, Creole Seasonings and 1 Cup Flour.
- Third shallow dish add the remaining 1 Cup Flour.
Dredge the Tomatoes in the plain Flour, then dip in the Buttermilk and then dredge in the cornmeal mixture. Do this until all the Tomatoes are done, placing on a paper towel lined platter.
Heat Heavy skillet (cast-iron works well if you have one); heat over medium heat (350).
Fry Tomatoes in batches being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides, remove to a paper towel lines tray and keep warm in the oven.
Heat 1-1/2 cups of Marinara Sauce.
Arrange Fried Green Tomatoes on a pretty serving platter with the Marinara Sauce in a dish in the center. Sprinkle Tomatoes with Salt, Pepper and Parmesan Cheese.