Popular Posts

Foodbuzz

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Hearty Beef Barley Soup



  

I thought about making soup for dinner. My Daughter was feeling under the weather and we always have chicken soup. Running ideas through my head I decided to make a beefy vegetable type soup. I knew What I wanted to make I just couldn't remember the name of the little pearly grain that was sitting right on the tip of my toungue!

Off to the store I went. Retrieving all the fresh vegetables I needed, still no name came to mind. So I headed towards the grain isle. New store, where's the grains?  Two steps further down the cereal isle it comes to me "barley"!

A really healthy grain with a slight nutty flavor that stands up to a hearty soup.

I had the Butcher cut up a boneless chuck roast into 1 pound pieces. He wrapped them separate so I have the extras on the freezer. I wanted a nice and tender melt in your mouth cut when the soup is finished. Stew meat tends to get tough. 

Ingredients:

6 cups beef stock
1/2 large yellow onion chopped
3 carrots diced
3 stalks celery diced
3 cloves garlic diced & smashed
1 cup barley
1 sprigs thyme stem stripped
1 sprig Rosemary stripped & chopped
1 handful fresh Italian parsley chopped
2 bay leaves
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes 
Salt/pepper
1 Lb boneless chuck roast cut into cubes
Olive oil

Season your chuck roast pieces with salt and pepper. 

In a large Dutch oven add 3 tablespoons olive oil and heat to medium high. Sear your chuck on all sides until it's nice and caramelised. Remove from pan.

Lower heat to medium. Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes, add carrots and celery. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook an additional 10 minutes stirring often. 

Add the chopped garlic stir for one minute. When you start to smell the garlic aroma add your crushed tomatoes. 

Cook five minutes stiring careful not to burn the tomatoes. Add the beef stock to deglaze the pan. 

Add the chuck roast and fresh herbs back into pan.  Bring back to simmer cover and reduce heat to low. 

I let it cook for one hour, stirring occasionally. Add the barley and cook another hour until barley and meat are tender. The soup will thicken once you add the barley. 

Serve with crusty olive oil grilled bread.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE WITH FRIENDS

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts with Thumbnails